College News

Back to College News

Juliana Fernandes Authors Essay on Receiving the 2023 AEJMC Advertising Distinguished Teaching Award

Juliana Fernandes, University of Florida College of Journalism and Communications Advertising assistant professor, is the author of an essay published in the December 2023 AEJMC Advertising Division newsletter focusing on her selection as the 2023 Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communication (AEJMC) Advertising Distinguished Teaching Award.

Fernandes writes about her teaching career and how rewarding it has been to see students develop intellectually across their undergraduate years.

“As I reflect on my 13-year career as a college professor, I cannot help but think how lucky I am to have chosen a profession in which I have the chance to meaningfully impact people’s lives. This article is not about how I have been impacting students’ lives, but a reflection on how the craft of teaching allows me to make a difference. I think of teaching as the profession that provides me with the privilege of imparting knowledge, developing relationships, and encouraging growth,” she writes.

According to Fernandes, “In my role as a teacher and mentor, I do not see an end to my improvement. Whether teaching to a large audience or a small class, mentoring an undergraduate or Ph.D. student, every time I arrive in the classroom or have a one-on-one meeting is an opportunity to challenge myself. Every time I leave the classroom or finish a meeting with a student my focus is on making the next class better and understanding how to better inspire the next set of students.”

Posted: December 11, 2023
Tagged as: , , ,