NBA in Paris

Back to NBA in Paris

Combining My Passions for Sports and Travel in Paris

By Thomas Cluck, Advertising, Junior

I was worried about navigating the Metro system of Paris but, after a few days, my new friends and I were able to get around the city like Parisians.

Having never been to Europe, I was very excited about the opportunity to travel to the French capital with UF to cover only the second-ever NBA game in France.

I was excited and viewed this program as a good opportunity for me. Yet, my actual time in Paris still vastly exceeded my expectations. It proved to be an incredible and highly memorable experience. 

First, I came in slightly nervous about traveling outside the country. I had left the US only once before, for a high school mission trip to Peru in the summer of 2018. Additionally, I worried about the language barrier in France. I took two college-level French courses for my foreign language requirement, but I am not fluent in any way.

However, these nerves and apprehensions died down when I got to Paris. Nearly everyone I spoke to in the French capital had some English knowledge and I was pleasantly surprised at my ability to recall some of the French lessons I had. 

The Eiffel Tower really is the ultimate Parisian experience.

Landing in Paris was a bit disorienting and confusing. We had a long flight, and the jet lag and time change were affecting me. However, after a brief reset at the hotel following the stunning views of the city at the Montparnasse Tower, I fully felt like I was in Paris.

From there, I felt comfortable and at home. I was excited to explore the city and immerse myself in Parisian culture.

On the day of the NBA game, we had time to explore Paris on our own while conducting our reporting assignments. This was a great way to understand the city better and the culture around the upcoming basketball game.

I have a fairly limited knowledge of basketball. That is why I tried to catch up on the NBA in my pre-program research and on the flight.

I also visited the NBA Paris store, which was a great gateway to the game between the Chicago Bulls and Detroit Pistons. There, I saw fans from all over Europe supporting all kinds of teams

Experiencing the Eiffel Tower and Paris at night made me speechless at times.

While the NBA store was a great convergence of basketball fans from every walk of life, few people in Paris seemed to be there for the game. I did not see many people wearing Chicago or Detroit clothing. That surprised me considering the rare and historic nature of an NBA game in France. 

It truly hit me that I was in Paris that evening when we stumbled upon the stunning Notre Dame Cathedral. We had spent the afternoon in the city reporting. But seeing such a famous landmarks in front of me was a true moment of awe and wonder. It reminded me how grateful I was to be there. That moment renewed my joy from experiencing Paris for the first time.

That joy continued throughout the program. I enjoyed seeing Paris far more than I even expected to. Simply roaming the streets and taking in the unique and beautiful architecture was a highlight. These strolls help understand a culture incredibly well. They give a chance to see a city’s people.

As a die-hard Rafael Nadal fan, seeing his locker at the French Open was a bucket-list moment for me.

The two highlights of the experience for me were our first glimpse of the Eiffel Tower, lit up and sparkling at night, and, as a lifelong tennis fan and player, finally getting to step on the famed, historic grounds of Roland Garros.

The moment we witnessed the Eiffel Tower was one of those surreal experiences where it really hit me that I was in Paris. Frankly, it left me a little speechless as I tried to explain how over-awed I was by the moment to my new friends.

In fact, that is a perfect metaphor for the entire program. This study abroad so vastly exceeded my expectations. It is an experience I will cherish forever as part of my college career.

And now, getting to go back in May to attend the French Open, another lifelong dream of mine, I’m somehow even more excited to return and see it all again.

As a tennis fan, seeing Roland Garros for the first time was a dream. Attending in May in all its full glory will be even more exciting.

Posted: March 13, 2023
Tagged as: , , , , ,