NBA in Paris

Back to NBA in Paris

My Favorite Show During Men’s Fashion Week in Paris was a Basketball Game

A French shopper waits in line at the Supreme store, wearing basketball-related streetwear. The stores were busy during our trip because of Soldes, a nationwide promotional period of time.

By Lillian Randolph, Journalism Senior

I love sports and I love art. As I’ve looked for ways to bring the two together, I found the University of Florida College of Journalism and Communications‘ opportunity to study abroad in Paris to be the perfect one to do so.

Knowing the rich history of the arts in the French capital, I started research early on how that may connect to the Chicago Bulls vs. Detroit Pistons NBA game we’d be covering. Hoping for a way to tell a fashion-related story, I feared what finding content would look like once abroad. Because of this, my partner Chloe Stein and I changed our story angle to a feature of a UF alumnus:  Nikko Tan, B.S. Telecommunication 2016, digital content manager for the Chicago Bulls.

I am so grateful that we made this decision. Getting to know Tan was incredible. It was impressive to learn about how successful he has been since graduating from UF.

Our group spent a lot of time traveling throughout the city on the Metro. When we were at stations near fashion shows, I found unique styles to photograph.

I touched down a few days before the rest of the group. I wanted to experience a foreign city on my own for a little bit to prove to my soon-to-graduate self that I was capable of doing so. With just a camera and a minimal understanding of the French language, I took off exploring Paris with the arts and the NBA in mind. I quickly learned that the Bulls vs. Pistons game wasn’t the only major event of the week in the city, but that Paris was hosting Men’s Fashion Week as well.

This provided for a variety of story opportunities and content that I hadn’t anticipated before. When I lingered in the main shopping districts, I was in awe of the pop-up fashion shows I’d see along with the models, athletes, and locals dressed to the nines. I saw so many ways that this high-fashion streetwear resembled trends that are frequent in the culture of American basketball.

Balenciaga’s partnership with Adidas made for a variety of basketball-related displays in their store. The iconic three stripes were incorporated into clothing and handbag designs.

While pedestrians all gave me something to learn, the stores themselves contributed heavily to my research.

Balenciaga showcased an Adidas collaboration with unique bags and logo basketballs on display. A designer shoe brand, Golden Goose, worked basketballs into their store setups as well. This theme was consistent in stores such as KITH, Nike, and even some local brands dedicated to sport fashion that I had never heard of.

Overwhelmed by all the information, I decided to forfeit buying a ticket to the NBA game. So much of what I wanted to take away from the event I anticipated finding outside of the Accor Arena. Come game day, I found that the events outside of the arena exceeded my expectations.

The ceiling of KITH’s entryway was decorated with all white Nike sneakers. The sneaker decorations stayed consistent throughout the three levels of the store.
Another KITH display featured a glass Jordan sneaker and a basketball among other pop culture memorabilia. The store’s displays were more permanent which gave indication that basketball’s influence in style goes well beyond the timeline of the NBA game in Paris.
Last year, KITH partnered with the New York Knicks for their “KITH for the New York Knicks 2022” collection. The collection features hats, knitwear, bomber jackers and other articles showcasing the New York basketball team’s colors and logo.

Before this game, I had never been to a non-fashion event that reminded me so much of a runway show. Those in attendance had come up with ensembles that went far beyond a jersey and jeans. There were fur coats, designer varsity jackets, custom embroidered pants, and more. I took notice especially of how many pairs of Jordans there were. Trying to keep up with every unique pair that passed with my camera was a task in and of itself.

Outside of the Accor Arena, spotting French fans was easy. Many incorporated aspects of high fashion into their game-day outfits. I was impressed by their creativity as well as their willingness to pose for photos.

While the clothes were a spectacle and so exciting for me to take in, it was the people wearing them that impressed me the most. Every French fan I spoke to was kind and passionate about sports. Hearing they chose to dress well for this event was a common theme. The game was something they’d valued and looked forward to for a long time.

One of my favorite stories was from a man named Latios. Growing up in Paris, he developed a love for sports and fashion. Despite our language barrier, he reminded me of myself in his curiosity for how the two could be combined.

Golden Goose, a designer sneaker brand, worked basketballs into their shoe displays inside their Paris stores.

Latios told me about a time when he found a special pair of Jordans online. He flew overseas to California to pick them up so that he could wear them to a basketball game in the future.

As crazy as stories like this seem, they were not rare to find in Paris. The people were so passionate and had amazing things to share with me. All of their stories confirmed that arts really can be a part of sport. There is so much there, especially in the city of lights.

This experience was everything that I needed from my senior year and more. As a storyteller, I was able to bring so much back with me. I’ve also brought back the longing for more. There is a whole world out there for sports, art and fashion. Knowing this, I am excited to see where that will take me next.

Posted: March 28, 2023
Tagged as: , , , , , ,