NBA in Paris

Back to NBA in Paris

My Study Abroad to Paris, France

A group of us taking our first train ride in Paris to go to Montmartre.

By Taylor Fishman

The NBA in Paris was my second study abroad program with CJC, so I felt pretty prepared for this experience. I previously went to Munich where I experienced the first NFL game played in Germany. Now, I was experiencing basketball in a different country with the NBA in Paris!

I had never been to Paris, so I was very excited!  This program was during the second week of the semester, so it was something that I was looking forward to all of winter break!

I was very excited for the days we had planned, and Paris definitely did not disappoint. I think this program was structured even better compared to when I went to Germany because of the time that was set aside to work on our stories.

This time around, I worked with a partner — Molly Cooper.  We had been planning our feature story about former Gators basketball player Will Yeguete since November (when we applied for the experience!).  We had been counting down the days until we could interview him, so we were very excited when we interviewed him on the first day we were in Paris.

My project partner on this program was senior Molly Cooper (left), posing here with me at the top of Montmartre Tower.

Thanks to our Fall 2022 experience in Germany, Molly and I were super-efficient when writing our story, giving us the chance to sight see. My favorite part of these short study abroad programs is being able to create content with little turnaround time and I loved that our itinerary incorporated class time to write our stories.  This helped Molly and I finish our story in enough time to receive edits and revisions before getting it published a week later.

Our class visited France’s largest stadium, the Stade de France, and posed for a photo in the locker room.

I love that these classes give me an opportunity to write stories, something that, as a production student, I never thought I would do in college!

I loved being able to interview a Gator alum that has been successful in pursuing a professional career as a basketball player in France. Hearing his take on how basketball is impacting French culture was very cool.

I’m really proud of the story that we wrote, and it was once again, an experience I would not have had without this class.

On one of our last nights in Paris, most of of us went to the Eiffel Tower as a group.

While my top favorite sport is football, I really enjoyed being able to experience what basketball was like in Paris. I did not go to the game, but I still met a lot of different people who were going and were very excited for the NBA game!

One of my favorite memories was getting to meet a CJC alum who works for the Chicago Bulls. It was super cool to hear about his experiences post-grad and hear how successful he has been in his sports career.

As my senior year of college is closing out, I am so thankful that I was able to travel abroad for a second time.  Having gone to both Germany and Paris for sports games and reporting on them, I feel like this experience gave me a new perspective on sports altogether and makes me want to pursue a career in it even more!

https://youtu.be/WbExCNJyraI

Posted: March 13, 2023
Tagged as: , , , , , ,