CJC in Frankfurt

Back to CJC in Frankfurt

Syni Sparkman’s Journey Beyond Fear

By Syni Sparkman, Public Relations senior

Syni Sparkman was one of 15 students who participated in the Globalizing American Sports study-abroad program from the University of Florida College of Journalism and Communications, held Nov. 1-6, 2023 in Frankfurt, Germany. To read other stories from the program, visit here.

Embarking on my study abroad journey in Frankfurt, Germany, stirred a mix of nervous excitement and anticipation. It marked my inaugural voyage to Europe and the first time I ventured beyond borders without family. Concerns about standing out due to my caramel skin and large afro, coupled with apprehensions about potential encounters with racism, were heightened by the ongoing Israel-Palestine conflict.

However, upon landing in Frankfurt, my anxieties were pleasantly contradicted. The first person I engaged with happened to be a person who looks like me, setting a positive tone for the entire trip. Unexpectedly, strangers on the street showered me with compliments, and the hospitality extended by employees at hostels, stores and restaurants created a cultural shock that reshaped my perceptions.

Syni Sparkman standing outside of Deutsche Bank Park stadium, where the Miami Dolphins played the Kansas City Chiefs..

Reflecting on this transformative journey, I am grateful for overcoming my initial fears. The experience not only allowed me to witness a significant event in NFL history (the first game played in Frankfurt), but also facilitated connections with outstanding students and Media Production, Management, and Technology Department Chair Roxane Coche, all of whom share a sincere appreciation for the diverse facets of the sports world.

Classmates and I are eating together at our favorite restaurant in Frankfurt: JesseJames. Although we were shivering in the cold, we enjoyed delicious food and great conversations.

This study abroad experience underscored Europe’s fondness for American traditions, particularly football, and it illuminated the substantial market for American football globally. This realization significantly influenced my approach to reporting on the NFL game and our group’s final project.

Drawing inspiration from my personal tradition of watching “Week in the Life” videos by NFL wives before game day, our aim was to craft a reflective video capturing the excitement of NFL globalization and the distinctive aspects of studying abroad with Sports@CJC. In doing so, we sought to spotlight the worldwide influence and cultural significance of American football.

German and American flags were both on the field during national anthems at the Nov. 5 NFL Frankfurt game between the Miami Dolphins and Kansas City Chiefs.

Participating in the “Globalizing American Sports” course has been immensely rewarding, particularly in deepening my understanding of the business aspect of the NFL. I cannot wait to explore the potential opportunities that lie ahead for me. This experience has provided valuable insights into the global dimensions of American sports and the intricate workings of the NFL from a business perspective. As an aspiring sports lawyer, this exposure has been invaluable, fueling my passion and optimism for the dynamic roles I could play in shaping the
future of sports law. I am grateful that I overcame my fears of traveling abroad, so I could experience such a life changing opportunity.

Enjoy this video we produced with classmates Reighan Sheppard and Rachel Rosen:

Posted: December 14, 2023
Tagged as: , , , , , , , , ,