NBA in Paris

Back to NBA in Paris

My First NBA Media Credential Experience

I posed with the 1997 Chicago Bulls championship trophy at the House of Bulls.

By Cristina Santiago Espinet, Journalism Senior 

This program was truly a surreal experience.

When I landed in Paris, I went straight to the Palais des sports Marcel-Cerdan to get to work. The Chicago Bulls’ open practice and media availability session was an incredible learning experience. I had never been part of such an enormous media presence. There were reporters and networks from all over Europe and the world.

During the media availability, I had to create the opportunities needed to get quotes. Many media members chose big stars like DeMar DeRozan and Zach Lavine. I soon realized that getting a good video quote from them would be impossible and went to players such as Dalen Terry and Andre Drummond, who were sitting by themselves. That moment was my first time interviewing current NBA players.

Afterward, the NBA Cares clinic began.

Cory Joseph, Jaden Ivey and Cade Cunningham of the Detroit Pistons do some drills with the kids. (Photo by Catherine Steenkeste/NBAE via Getty Images)
Former Detroit Piston Ben Wallace chats with Bulls player Andre Drummond and Gator and Bulls alumnus Joakim Noah. (Photo by Catherine Steenkeste/NBAE via Getty Images)

The Bulls and Detroit Pistons combined forces with running a free basketball clinic with the local French youth. The kids were ecstatic to be there. They got even more excited when Gator alumnus Joakim Noah, who holds dual citizenship with France, showed up to help. That clinic had an enormous impact for the grinning children engaged with their favorite NBA players.

The Pistons’ practice and media availability started shortly after. French native Killian Hayes captivated everyone’s attention. He responded to the media in both French and English.

Detroit Pistons center, Isaiah Stewart speaks to the media at the Palais des sports Marcel-Cerdan. (Photo by Jeff Haynes/NBAE via Getty Images)

These events took about five hours, but I felt like time was flying.

Experiencing what it was like to be part of the media for the NBA was incredible. Just looking at my media credentials still seems unreal. I learned so much from the environment of the game and press conferences.

I kept observing what other reporters did or asked, and I met some interesting people, such as representatives of the NBA Europe organization, who gave me great advice. They told me everything is based on connections, and encouraged me to continue working hard and forming great relationships with those within my industry.

NBA commissioner Adam Silver speaks at the pre-game press conference in Paris.

One of my favorite moments was seeing NBA Commissioner Adam Silver in the flesh. I have been seeing him on TV my whole life, and being able to attend his press conference was such a surreal experience.

I was incredibly blessed to have this opportunity, as it was indeed one of a kind.

Not many people can say the first NBA game they covered was in Paris with iconic teams that have built a legacy thanks players such as Michael Jordan and Isiah Thomas. I gained insights from other reporters and saw the reporting dynamic within the NBA.

My classmate Caroline King played pick-up with Paris locals near the Eiffel Tower.

Going through this experience made me realize I am interested in covering sports on an international level. I loved going to Europe and hope to work with NBA Europe one day. When I went to the basketball court with the Eiffel Tower in the background, I realized how impactful the sport of basketball is.

Today’s version of the NBA is dominated by European players.

“If we look at the most successful players in the league right now, it is mainly international players,” Silver said in his press conference. “The last four MVP trophies have been presented to international players, and the top four leading scorers are international players right now. International players are making an incredible impact within the NBA. And the NBA is more than aware of this. Twenty-five years ago, only 29 international players were in the NBA. Fast forward to now, there are 120 players among the roughly 450 players in the league. Regarding the best stats, the American players have nothing on the international wave of players continuously dominating the league.”

While in France, Silver even met with French president Emmanuel Macron. The two formed a new partnership to further develop basketball commercialization in France and Africa. Both parties want to unite people to represent basketball’s important values, which teach youth the importance of discipline, respect, and teamwork.

Games across the globe not only provide international exposure but foster relationships with European officials with hopes of continuing the globalization of the NBA. As someone born in Puerto Rico who lived in Europe for most of my childhood, I am interested in international storytelling, especially within the sports industry. I hope to contribute to the globalization of the NBA one day.

As for now, I am refreshing my Italian and learning French in hopes of becoming quadrilingual (I speak English and Spanish fluently). I hope my language skills can one day be an asset to my goal.

Posted: March 13, 2023
Tagged as: , , , , ,