College News

Back to College News

Florida Trend Editor Comments on the New UFCJC Fresh Take Business Course

Florida Trend Executive Editor Amy Keller recently served as a guest speaker for Fresh Take Business, a new, advanced reporting course for University of Florida College of Journalism and Communications (UFCJC) student journalists. She shares her experience in “A Fresh Take” posted on floridatrend.com on Feb. 29.

The course combines instruction in the basics of business journalism with the opportunity for students to have their stories published on WUFT-TV/FM, WUFT.org and in prominent Florida media outlets.

According to Keller, “The course is good news for Florida. In an era of smaller newsrooms and rampant misinformation, skilled business journalists still have an important role to play — not only in chronicling the fortunes of companies and leaders, but also in identifying trends and making complex economic issues understandable.”

She adds, “The UF students in the business class are entering a different world of journalism than I did three decades ago. A phone, a tape recorder and a facsimile machine were just about the only tools I had during my first reporting internships. Based on what I saw in the class, I think they’re up to the job. And at a time when we’re often fed such a gloomy view of the future, they give me reason to hope there will always be a demand for good journalism and smart journalists committed to fair, honest reporting.”

Posted: March 5, 2024
Tagged as: , ,