The Department of Advertising is recognized as one of the largest and most respected programs in the U.S. Courses are designed to provide a foundation for problem-solving, strategic thinking and persuasion techniques that drive marketplace communication.
Coursework is complemented with opportunities for:
- Internships at major ad agencies and brands
- Portfolio- and resume-building work and networking with Ad Society
- Various immersion opportunities including The Agency and Elevate
- Undergraduate health communication research
- Participation in regional and national advertising competitions.
Students graduate prepared for the challenges of culturally diverse and technologically changing marketplaces. In this spirit, students have two track options: the Advertising Agency Track and the Persuasive Messaging Track.
Advertising Agency Track
Students in the Agency Track are prepared for any entry-level agency role after graduation. Along with core requirements, students choose 12 elective credits in the major. After completing required prerequisites, students take the Advertising Campaigns class as a capstone, which allows them to experience agency roles and work hands-on with a real client before they graduate.
Persuasive Messaging Track
Students in the Persuasive Messaging Track have a more customizable educational experience. Students choose 18 elective credits along with their core advertising courses and a required immersion-option course. Immersion options include courses such as Social Labs, Creative Advertising Competitions, STEM Communication Research & Application, Great Ideas in Marketplace Communication, and Advanced Internship.
Below are quick links to find information about the department.
Faculty and Staff
Advertising Course Sequence
Advising for Advertising
Five Things You Should Know:
- The department is home to nearly 600 majors.
- Approximately 200 of those majors participate in Ad Society, which has organized professional networking trips to Chicago, New York, Atlanta, Austin, and Miami in recent years.
- The UF advertising department leads the nation as one of the top universities in student placements for the 4 A’s Multicultural Advertising Internship Program (MAIP).
- The department also leads the nation in AAF’s Most Promising Multicultural Student (MPMS) wins.
- In the recent years, graduates have landed jobs at Leo Burnett, Dentsu Aegis, Saatchi & Saatchi, Disney, and Google.
Notable alumni include:
- Kirsten Flanik, President and CEO, BBDO New York
- Scott Hagedorn, CEO, Omnicom Media Group North America
- Darrell Hammond, former Prime Time Player, Saturday Night Live
- Cliff Marks, President, National CineMedia
- Jim Jenkins, Founding Director, O Positive Films
The Advertising Department urges students to get involved in the college and gain experience. Below is an overview of the organizations advertising students most frequently become involved with.
Students receive indispensable advice from speakers and mentors, hands-on experiences, opportunities to visit agencies, and a chance to hold a leadership position amongst fellow peers.
Led by professionals, staffed by students and inspired by faculty, The Agency is a team of seasoned professionals and hand-selected twenty-somethings with a passion for ideas that resonate with young consumers.
STEM Translational Communication Center
Join STCC to help improve human health and well-being by making scientific research more accessible, understandable, and actionable.