Huan Chen, Ph.D.
Associate Professor - Department of Advertising
Huan Chen is an associate professor of advertising in the College of Journalism and Communications at the University of Florida. Her research interests include new media and advertising, product placement, international and cross-cultural advertising, and social media and health communication. She has published nearly 40 referred journal articles. Her research papers have appeared in Journal of Advertising, International Journal of Advertising, Journal of Brand Management, Health Communication, among others. She has also published a book and four book chapters.
Ph.D., Communication and Information, The University of Tennessee
M.A., Advertising, University of Florida
M.A., Mass Communication, Wuhan University
B.A., Advertising, Wuhan University
- Huan Chen and Jasmine McNealy Promoted to Associate Professors (June 25, 2019)
- Engagement and Visibility Key to Effective Product Placement in Virtual Reality Videos (June 11, 2019)
- Huan Chen Co-Authors Article on Advertising Practitioners’ Perceptions of Creativity (May 8, 2019)
- UF College of Journalism and Communications Annual Banquet Honors the Best and the Brightest (April 13, 2019)
- Huan Chen Receives 2019 McGraw-Hill Distinguished Scholar Award (February 6, 2019)
- All News About Huan Chen
- Chen, Huan (2011), Connecting Virtual World Perception to Real World Consumption: Chinese White-Collar Professionals’ Interpretation of Product Placement in SNSs, Germany: VDM Verlag Dr. Müller.
Book Chapters (peer reviewed)
- Chen, Huan (2018), Smart Health Facilitator: Chinese Consumers’ Perceptions and Interpretations of Fitness Mobile Apps, in Emma Baulch, Amina Tariq, and Jerry Watkins Eds. mHealth Innovation in Asia: social and cultural considerations, Singapore: Springer, 109-122.
- Chen, Huan (2017), Chinese Consumers’ Perception of Social Game: A Phenomenological Study, in Dal Yong Jin Eds. Mobile Gaming in Asia: Politics, Culture, and Emerging Technologies, New York: Springer, 193-206.
- Chen, Huan, Eric Haley and Audrey Deterding (2016), Product Placement in Social Games: Qualitative Research Insights, in De Pelsmacker, Patrick Eds. Advertising in New Formats and Media: Current Research and Implications for Marketers, Bingley, UK: Emerald, 335-360.
- Chen, Huan (2014), Chinese Consumers’ Perception of Social Media: A Phenomenological Study, in Cui, Litang and Michael H. Prosser, Eds. Social Media in Asia, Lake Oswego, OR: Dignity Press, 257-292.
Journal Articles (peer reviewed)
- Alpert, Jordan, Huan Chen, and Kelsy Adams (accepted), “E-Cigarettes and social media: Attitudes and perceptions of young adults to social media messages,” Addiction Theory and Research.
- Chen, Huan and Brittani Sahm (in press), “Big Data is Not the Answer to Everything: Advertising Practitioners’ Perception on Big Data,” Advertising and Society.
- Liu, Liu and Huan Chen (in press), “Balancing Impressiveness and Favorability: A Qualitative Study on an Emerging Type of Advertising in China,” Global Media and China.
- Chen, Huan, Ho-Young Ahn and Ronald E. Taylor (in press), “We are not the ‘Strangers’ of the Academy: Asian Scholars in the U. S. Advertising Education,” Journal of Intercultural Communication.
- Feng, Yang, Huan Chen and Li He (2019), “Consumer Responses to Femvertising: A Data Mining Case of Dove’s Campaign for Real Beauty on YouTube,” Journal of Advertising, 48(3), 292-301.
- Chen, Huan, Rang Wang and Xuan Liang (2019) “Americanized or Localized: A Qualitative Study on Chinese Advertising Professionals’ Perceptions on Creativity and Strategy in the Digital Age,” Global Media and China. DOI:10.1177/2059436419836455
- Chen, Huan and Ye Wang (2019), “Dialogic Engagement with Product Placement in Virtual Reality Films: A Mixed Method Study,” Journal of Interactive Advertising, DOI:10.1080/15252019.2019.1596850
- Wang, Ye and Huan Chen (2019), “The Influence of Dialogic Engagement and Prominence on Visual Product Placement in Virtual Reality Videos,” Journal of Business Research,100, 493-502. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbusres.2019.01.018
- George, Sky and Huan Chen (2018), “International Student Involvement: Leading Away from Home,” The Journal of Leadership Education,17 (4), 17 – 34. DOI:10.12806/V17/I4/R2
- Chen, Huan, Earlesha Butler and Xuan Liang (2018), “Facilitating or Impeding Acculturation: Mobile Social Messaging in Chinese Immigrants’ Everyday Lives,” Journal of Intercultural Communication Research. 47 (6), 510 – 529. DOI: 10.1080/17475759.2018.1503192
- Lee, Yoon Joo and Huan Chen (2018), “Empowerment or alienation: Chinese and Korean immigrant mothers’ perception of mobile media in constructing their social role and facilitating parenting practices in the US,” Mobile Communication and Society, 6(3), 390 – 406. https://doi.org/10.1177/2050157918763981
- Chen, Huan et al. (2018), “Facilitation or Hindrance: Physicians’ Perception on Best Practice Alerts (BPA) Usage in an Electronic Health Record System,” Health Communication. https://doi.org/10.1080/10410236.2018.1443263
- Kong, Sining and Huan Chen (2018), “How the City of Harbin Promotes Its International Image: A Case Study,” Journal of Place Branding and Public Policy. https://doi.org/10.1057/s41254-017-0086-2
- Chen, Huan and Yoon Joo Lee (2018), “Is Snapchat a Good Place to Advertise? How Media Characteristics Influence Young Consumers’ Receptivity of Snapchat Advertising,” International Journal of Mobile Communications. https://org 10.1504/IJMC.2018.10010209
- Chen, Huan (2018), “Young Consumers’ Perceptions of Social Media Marketing: The Story of Instagram,” Journal of Current Issues and Research in Advertising, 39(1), 22-36. https://doi.org/10.1080/10641734.2017.1372321
- Chen, Huan and Liling Zhou (2018) “The Myth of Big Data: Chinese Advertising Practitioners’ Perspective,” International Journal of Advertising, 37(4), 633-649. https://doi.org/10.1080/02650487.2017.1340865
- Chen, Huan and Ye Wang (2017), “Connecting or Disconnecting: Luxury Brands’ Social Media Strategies and Affluent Chinese Female Consumers’ Interpretations,” Journal of Brand Management, 24(6), 562-574. https://doi.org/10.1057/s41262-017-0050-8
- Chen, Huan, Liling Zhou and Shufang Han (2017), “Protest and protect: Chinese urban mothers’ perception of smartphone (tablet) in their everyday lives’ communication and interaction with young children,” Journal of Asian Pacific Communication, 27(1), 99-120.
- Chen, Huan, and Ye Wang (2017), “Brand Appearance of Product Placement in Chinese and American Top-Grossing Commercial Movies: A Comparison,” Journal of Promotion Management, 23(4), 540-556. DOI:10.1080/10496491.2017.1297975.
- Zhou, Liling, Huan Chen and Ruyi Tao (2017), “Career Reconstruction: Internal Fragmentation and External Competition of Advertising Industry under the Impact of Big Data,” Journalism Bimonthly (Chinese), 2, 83-93.
- Chen, Huan and Ye Wang (2016), “Product Placement in Hollywood Movies: A Longitudinal Analysis,” Journal of Promotion Management, 22(6), 835-852.
- Chen, Huan and Xiaoqing Fan (2016), “Information, Circle, and Self-expression: Chinese White-Collar Workers’ Interpretation of Microblogging and Marketing Information on Microblogs,” Journal of Ethnographic and Qualitative Research, 11 (1), 17-31.
- Chen, Huan (2015), “College Aged Consumers’ Interpretation of Twitter and Marketing Information on Twitter,” Young Consumers, 16(2), 208-221.
- Fan, Xiaoqing, Huan Chen, and Fang Liu (2014), “The Anxiety of Time and Trust: Interpretation of Microblog and It’s Marketing Information by Chinese White-Collar Consumers,” Journal of Advertising Study (Chinese), 2, 91-97.
- Fan, Xiaoqing and Huan Chen (2014), “To See and to Be Seen: Chinese White-Collar Workers’ Interpretation of Microblogging and Social Capital,” International Journal of Interactive Communication Systems and Technologies, 4(1), 1-14.
- Chen, Huan and Eric Haley (2014), “Product Placement in Social Game: Consumer Experiences in China,” Journal of Advertising, 43(3), 286-295.
- Chen, Huan, Enying Lin, Fang Liu and Tingting Dai (2013), “See Me or Not, I am There: Chinese White-Collar Moviegoers’ Interpretation of Product Placements in Chinese Commercial Movies,” Journal of Promotion Management, 19(5), 507-533.
- Chen, Huan, Fang Liu and Tingting Dai (2013), “Chinese Consumers’ Perceptions toward Smartphone and Marketing Communication on Smartphone,” International Journal of Mobile Marketing, 8(1), 38-45.
- Chen, Huan and Audrey Deterding (2013), “College-aged Young Consumers’ Interpretations of Product Placement in Social Games,” Young Consumers, 14 (1), 41-51.
- Chen, Huan and Ronald E. Taylor (2012),” Message Strategies of Chinese Award-winning Print Advertisements: A Longitudinal Analysis Using Taylor’s Six-Segment Message Strategy Wheel,” Journal of Intercultural Communication, 30, http://www.immi.se/intercultural/
- Chen, Huan and Eric Haley (2010), “The Lived Meanings of Chinese Social Network Sites (SSNs) among Urban White-Collar Professionals: A Story of Happy Network,” Journal of Interactive Advertising, 11 (1), 11-26.
- Chen, Huan (2005), “Effects of Advertising on Children’s Consumer Behavior: A Psychological Perspective,” China Radio & TV Academic Journal, 6, 22-23.
- Chen, Huan (2004), “Integrated Marketing Communication in the Era of New Media: From Traditional IMC to Interactive IMC,” Journal of Northeast Normal University, 4, 158-162.
- Chen, Huan (2004), “A Theoretical Model of Advertising Education Model: Creativity is the Key,” Journal of China High Education Research, 6,756-761.
- Chen, Huan (2004), “A Report of Qingdao Newspaper Industry,” Journal of Newspaper Industry, 6, 35-37.
- Chen, Huan (2004), “A Study on Similarity of Wuhan Metropolitan Newspapers,” Journal of Press Circles, 3, 70-71.
- Chen, Huan (2001), “Reexamination of Integrated Marketing Communication,” Journal of Wuhan University Graduate Students, 17, 127-131.
Based on my philosophical orientations and understanding of the disciplines of advertising and communication, I have developed a broad research agenda on new media and communications. Specifically, I’m interested in how people use messages transmitted via novel, innovative, and dynamic media formats to generate meanings within and across various social and cultural contexts. In the past few years, I have established my expertise in the field of new media and communications through my investigations on product placement, new media advertising, and international and cross-cultural advertising. I have also built my reputation in this research area through my methodological expertise in qualitative approach.
Syllabi from the current and three previous semesters:
- ADV 3500 - Advertising Research - section 1A41 - Fall 2019 (PDF)
- MMC 6426 - Seminar in Qualitative Research - section 1959 - Fall 2019 (PDF)
- MMC 6426 - Seminar in Qualitative Research - Summer 2019 (PDF)
- ADV 3500 - Digital Insights - section 136B - Spring 2019 (PDF)
- MMC 6426 - Seminar in Qualitative Research - section 0636 - Spring 2019 (PDF)
- ADV 3500 - Advertising Research - Fall 2018 (PDF)
- MMC 6426 - Seminar in Qualitative Research - section 1959 - Fall 2018 (PDF)
- MMC 6426 - Seminar in Qualitative Research - Summer 2018 (PDF)