Huan Chen, Ph.D.
Associate Professor - Department of Advertising
Ph.D., Communication and Information, The University of Tennessee
M.A., Advertising, University of Florida
M.A., Mass Communication, Wuhan University
B.A., Advertising, Wuhan University
- How Consumers React to Woke Advertising (June 14, 2021)
- CJC Faculty and Doctoral Students Receive 2021 AEJMC Advertising Division Top Paper Awards (June 2, 2021)
- Huan Chen Co-Authors Article on Woke Advertising Study (June 1, 2021)
- Vaping and Instagram: A Content Analysis of e-Cigarette Posts Targeted at Young Adults (May 14, 2021)
- Research and Insights: Fairness in Information Access Through Culturally Competent AI Systems (April 3, 2021)
- All News About Huan Chen
Chen, Huan (2011), Connecting Virtual World Perception to Real World Consumption: Chinese White-Collar Professionals’ Interpretation of Product Placement in SNSs, Germany: VDM Verlag Dr. Müller.
Refereed Journal Articles
Based on my philosophical orientations and understanding of the disciplines of advertising and communication, I have developed a broad research agenda on new media and communications. Specifically, I’m interested in how people use messages transmitted via novel, innovative, and dynamic media formats to generate meanings within and across various social and cultural contexts. In the past few years, I have established my expertise in the field of new media and communications through my investigations on product placement, new media advertising, and international and cross-cultural advertising. I have also built my reputation in this research area through my methodological expertise in qualitative approach.
Syllabi from the current and three previous semesters:
- ADV 3500 - Advertising Research - section 136B, 136C - Spring 2021 (PDF)
- ADV 3500 - Advertising Research - section 1A41 - Fall 2020 (PDF)
- MMC 6426 - Seminar in Qualitative Research - section 1959 - Fall 2020 (PDF)
- MMC 6426 - Seminar in Qualitative Research - section 004F - Summer 2020 (PDF)
- ADV 3500 - Advertising Research - section 136B - Spring 2020 (PDF)
- MMC 6426 - Seminar in Qualitative Research - section 0636 - Spring 2020 (PDF)