Frank and Betsy Karel Endowed Chair in Public Interest Communications
Professor - Department of Public Relations
Ann Christiano is the the Frank Karel Chair in Public Interest Communications. Her role is to develop a curriculum in the newly-emerging discipline of public interest communications, which uses the tools of public relations and journalism to create positive social change.
Before joining the University of Florida, she directed communications for The Robert Wood Johnson Foundation’s Vulnerable Populations portfolio. This portfolio creates new opportunities for better health by investing in health where it starts and grows–in our homes, schools and jobs. The social innovations the portfolio supports work in the domains of education, housing or corrections, but always address health needs of people who are vulnerable. As part of her work, Christiano oversaw communications strategies for programs like the Greenhouse project, which is a radical reinvention of the traditional long term care model, and CeaseFire, which uses a public health approach to reduce gun violence in America’s most violent neighborhoods. Earlier in her career at RWJF she developed a robust government relations program that helped Foundation grantees build productive relationships with their elected officials and significantly increased the Foundation’s profile among Washington policy-makers. She has also worked with the Washington Business Group on Health, now the National Business group on Health.
Early in her career, Ann had the privilege to work directly with Frank Karel, and benefited from his extraordinary vision for the field of philanthropic and public interest communications.
Masters, Public Affairs and Policy, Rutgers University, 2003
BA, Public Relations, University of Maryland, 1994
- The Back-of-the-Envelope Guide to Communications Strategy (September 22, 2017)
- CJC frank Academy Team Provide Communications Training (June 16, 2017)
- CJC Publishes Inaugural Issue of Journal of Public Interest Communications (May 11, 2017)
- Ann Christiano Comments on Non-Profit Use of Social Media Campaigns (May 2, 2017)
- Is Awareness Ever Enough? (April 24, 2017)
- All News About Ann Christiano
Syllabi from the current and three previous semesters:
- PUR 3801 - Public Relations Strategy - section 4922 - Spring 2018 (PDF)
- PUR 4442 - Public Interest Communications - section 0982 - Spring 2018 (PDF)
- PUR 4100 - Public Relations Writing - section 4071 - Fall 2017 (PDF)
- PUR 4442 - Public Interest Communications - Fall 2017 (PDF)
- PUR 4100 - Public Relations Writing - section 4071 - Fall 2016 (PDF)
- PUR 4442 - Public Interest Communications - section 1406 - Fall 2016 (PDF)