Lecturer - Department of Advertising
Director of Professional Master’s Program
Calienes, who is earning a Ph.D. in Design, Construction & Planning at UF, has a multidisciplinary background in advertising, graphic design, film, interior design and shopper marketing and has worked in both senior strategic planning and creative roles with top global brands, including Toyota, P&G, Coca-Cola, Colgate, Kellogg’s, Nestle, Diageo, Pepsi and Sony.
Her advertising and shopper marketing work has won numerous industry awards and recognitions, including AdAge’s Association of Hispanic Advertising Association award, Adweek’s Best Spot award, and a POPAI award. She worked with an agency team on the 2006 Toyota Camry spot “Switch,” which was the first bilingual commercial to run in the Super Bowl. Calienes’ film work has been featured at worldwide festivals, including the prestigious Sundance Film Festival and her graphic design work has been published in AIGA’s best identity publication.
She has led cross cultural and international design-thinking workshops, has taught courses in interior design and has recently completed development of an online certificate course in Shopper Marketing Fundamentals for the UF Professional Development Center.
During her time at UF, Calienes created and coordinated the Engage Design Lab Research Initiative which focuses on human-centered design for healthcare and education environments. Through this initiative, she led students to redesign the UF Law School Commons and was part of the team awarded a grant by the American Society of Interior Designers (ASID) to examine the role of mixed-use learning zones for millennial education, partnering with the team at UFCJC’s The Agency. This work was awarded a Certificate of Research Excellence (CORE) from the Environmental Design Research Association in 2018.
Areas of ExpertiseAdvertising Campaign, Research and Strategy, Creative Leadership and Direction, Creative Strategy, Multicultural/Race Communication and Issues, Shopper Marketing and Retail Design
B.S. in Communications, University of Miami
M.I.D., University of Florida
Ph.D. candidate in Design Construction and Planning, University of Florida
- UFCJC Students Receive NATAS 2023 Suncoast Chapter Student Production Awards and Scholarships (June 5, 2023)
- The Center for Public Interest Communications Collaborates on Project to Study Inclusive Coverage of Immigrant Communities (November 9, 2022)
- Champion Gymnast, Scholar, Entrepreneur, Podcast Host and Game Designer Leah Clapper is Just Getting Started (June 24, 2022)
- Agency Veteran Santiago Kember to Join CJC Advertising Department This Fall as a Visiting Lecturer (July 26, 2021)
- Raegan Burden, Elizabeth Calienes and Juliana Fernandes Judge 2020 ANA Multicultural Excellence Awards (October 19, 2020)
- All News About Elizabeth Calienes
Her doctoral research focuses on understanding the millennial generation shopper and their experience in the retail store, and specifically how retailers and brands can use authenticity to connect with this group. Her research in millennials and retail design has been recognized at international conferences and been published in both peer reviewed journals and popular press.
Syllabi from the current and three previous semesters:
- MMC 6936 - Professional Master's Seminar - Spring 2023 (PDF)
- MMC 6936 - Creativity in Advertising Design - Spring 2023 (PDF)
- ADV 4101 - Copywriting and Visualization - Fall 2022 (PDF)
- MMC 6936 - Professional Master's Seminar - Fall 2022 (PDF)
- MMC 6936 - Copywriting and Visualization - Fall 2022 (PDF)
- MMC 6936 - Pro Master's Seminar - section 3993 - Spring 2022 (PDF)
- MMC 6936 - Shopper Marketing - section 4930 - Spring 2022 (PDF)