Managing Director - Center for Public Interest Communications
Lecturer - Department of Journalism
Matt Sheehan, M.B.A., a journalist who has spent his career working in established and emerging media helping organizations make strategic shifts in digital, is a member of the journalism faculty at the University of Florida.
During his tenure at UF, he served as the inaugural director of the College’s Innovation News Center (2013-16), he led the integration of three separate broadcast newsrooms into one, built out the digital properties, integrated JOU student immersion opportunities and served as news director for the University’s seven media properties, including the NPR, PBS and ESPN affiliates. During that time, student journalists were honored with 185 national and regional awards, with 40 percent of those competitions resulting in students winning over professional journalists. He is a former assistant news editor at The Washington Post and previously worked in administration at University of Maryland’s Philip Merrill College of Journalism.
Sheehan joined the college in 2011 as director of the 21st Century News Laboratory, shifting from two years in the media startup world where he served as chief operating officer for a topical digital-first media company based in D.C.
Sheehan served as an adjunct professor in visual journalism at Merrill while working at the Post. He taught graphics and news design to students at the college, high school and post-graduate level, including as an instructor for the American Society of Newspaper Editors High School Journalism Institute, the Maryland-District of Columbia Scholastic Press Association and the Washington Post’s Young Journalists Development Program. He currently serves on the training team for UF’s Center for Public Interest Communications.
MBA, University of Maryland, 2008
BA, Journalism, University of Maryland, 2002
- CJC Students Honored in 2018 Hearst Multimedia Team and Intercollegiate Competitions (May 18, 2018)
- CJC Science of Story Building Report Explores What Makes Stories Work (May 14, 2018)
- UFCJC, News Integrity Initiative Partner to Assist Newsrooms in Use of Cognitive Science to Help Increase Media Trust (April 25, 2018)
- “Cuba: Outside In” Website Honored in 2017 EPPY Awards Competition (October 31, 2017)
- CJC frank Academy Team Provide Communications Training (June 16, 2017)
- All News About Matt Sheehan
Syllabi from the current and three previous semesters: