Director of Stories and Emerging Platforms
Lecturer - Department of Journalism
Matthew C. Sheehan is a journalist and MBA who has spent his career working in established and emerging media, and is now on the journalism faculty at the University of Florida.
As director of stories and emerging platforms—his third role at UF—he is charged with helping to lead the College’s efforts at examining the intersection of storytelling, science and the social good. He leads a content and product incubator called Hatch that uses the principles of human-centered design to conceptualize, test and launch projects for the future of media and information.
As the inaugural director of the College’s Innovation News Center (2013-16), he led the integration of three separate broadcast newsrooms into one, built out the digital properties, integrated JOU student immersion opportunities and served as news director and executive editor for the University’s seven media properties, including the NPR, PBS and ESPN affiliates. He is a former assistant news editor at The Washington Post and previously worked in administration at University of Maryland’s Philip Merrill College of Journalism.
Sheehan joined the college in 2011 as director of the 21st Century News Laboratory, shifting from two years in the media startup world where he served as chief operating officer for a niche media company focused on recreational boating.
Sheehan served as an adjunct professor in visual journalism at Merrill while working at the Post. He taught graphics and news design to students at the college, high school and post-graduate level, including as an instructor for the American Society of Newspaper Editors High School Journalism Institute, the Maryland-District of Columbia Scholastic Press Association and the Washington Post’s Young Journalists Development Program.
While in grad school at the Robert H. Smith School of Business, he served as an academic administrator, Web strategist and developer for the Merrill College, and was the college’s communication director.
MBA, University of Maryland, 2008
BA, Journalism, University of Maryland, 2002
- CJC frank Academy Team Provide Communications Training (June 16, 2017)
- Matt Sheehan to Lead Experimentation in Storytelling, Science and Social Change (May 17, 2016)
- MediaShift: Audience Analytics Changing Journalism Education (July 16, 2015)
- Yik Yak partnership is featured in Editor & Publisher (July 15, 2015)
- College Media Matters features Sheehan, INC (July 2, 2015)
- All News About Matt Sheehan
Syllabi from the current and three previous semesters:
- JOU 4930 - Innovative Storytelling - Fall 2017 (PDF)
- JOU 4930 - Immersive Multimedia Storytelling - Cuba - Summer 2017 (PDF)
- JOU 4930 - Innovative Storytelling - Spring 2017 (PDF)
- JOU 4930 - Hatch Experience - Spring 2017 (PDF)
- JOU 4930 - Nontraditional Video Storytelling - Spring 2017 (PDF)
- JOU 4930 - Innovative Storytelling - Fall 2016 (PDF)