James Babanikos, Ph.D.
Associate Dean for Undergraduate Affairs - Professional Advising and Teaching Hub Professor - Department of Telecommunication
Babanikos has been working as a writer/director in video and film since 1984. He has received production grants from the Independent Television Service, the National Educational Telecommunication Association, the Florida Arts Council, as well as the National Film Board of Canada. His works include Portrait of an Actor (2017, 25:00, documentary), Fred Turns Fifty (2016, 20:00, comedy), Pillow Talk (2015, 12:00, drama); By The Way, Meet Vera Stark (2014, 11:00, drama); Coming Home (2013, 25:00, drama); Table for Two (2013, 15:00, drama); Make Believe (2012, 25:00, TV sit-com pilot); The Wedding Ring (2011, 15:00, drama), Somewhere Beyond (2009, 47:00, drama); Santa Rules (2007, 25:00, drama); A Second Chance (2004, 75:00, drama); Catherine’s Story (1999, 81:00, drama); The Science Directorate (1999, 6:00, corporate); Color My World: The Arts in Medicine (1998, 57:30, documentary); C.P. Cavafy: From Ithaca to Tarpon Springs (1996, 29:50, documentary); The Death of a Bachelor (1995, 25:00, drama); and Goodbye, Socrates (1992, 37:00, drama). Dr. Babanikos’ work has been screened in a number of national and international venues, and his projects have won many awards in various production competitions. Dr. Babanikos joined the faculty of Florida’s Department of Telecommunication in 1993 and teaches courses in the production sequence.
Ph.D., University of Texas at Austin
M.A., Broadcasting and Film Production, University of Iowa
Bachelor, Mechanical Engineering, Concordia University, Montreal, Canada
- CJC Faculty, Adjuncts and Students Named 2019 Anderson Scholar Faculty Honorees (December 13, 2019)
- James Babanikos Named CJC Associate Dean for Undergraduate Affairs (November 19, 2019)
- CJC Students and Alumni Receive 2019 BEA Festival of Media Arts Awards (April 10, 2019)
- James Babanikos Comments on Impact of his 2009 Film “Somewhere Beyond” (March 13, 2018)
- CJC Seniors Awarded Prestigious BEA Festival of Media Arts “Best of” Award (February 1, 2018)
- All News About James Babanikos
Encoding practices of video and film production, media writing, and documentary theory and practice.
Documentary theory and history, narrative strategies, film/video production
- Creative Production/Documentary/Visual Communication
Syllabi from the current and three previous semesters:
- RTV 2100 - Writing for Electronic Media - section 21E6 - Fall 2019 (PDF)
- RTV 3101 - Advanced Writing for Electronic Media - section 03D2 - Fall 2019 (PDF)
- RTV 4929C - Dramatic Production - section 0954 - Fall 2019 (PDF)
- MMC 4929C - - section 5070 - Spring 2019 (PDF)
- RTV 2100 - Writing for Electronic Media - section 2D03 - Spring 2019 (PDF)
- RTV 3101 - Advanced Writing for Electronic Media - section 4315 - Spring 2019 (PDF)