NBA in Paris

Back to NBA in Paris

Experiencing Paris Like Never Before

By Jensen Young, Journalism Senior

The tour of the Stade de France was amazing. Getting to experience the beautiful stadium with the group made it even more fun.

The best way to describe the NBA in Paris study abroad is by saying that it was a lot of fun and an experience to remember. I have traveled to Europe and even Paris a few times in my life but that took nothing away from this. 

I planned to wear my France World Cup jersey to the stadium, but I did not expect to be able to take pictures with jerseys like Antoine Griezmann’s and Kylian Mbappe’s.

During this program, I explored new parts of the city with new friends. I did not know everyone in the group prior to traveling, but I know that I landed back in Florida with some new friendships.

The big parts of the Paris program that stuck out to me were the group excursions to the Stade de France and Roland Garros.

This was my first time seeing the Stade de France and I loved it. I even got to wear my French national team jersey and take some pictures with some iconic jerseys.

Getting the work done

I met with George Eddy outside of the practice facility for the NBA teams. We took a short walk to get some lunch and talk about his life and career.

The program was not about having fun, though. I also got to work on a great story. I interviewed George Eddy, a basketball media personality for Canal+ in France. Eddy grew up in Winter Park, Florida (like me). And he attended the University of Florida prior to his basketball commentating career in France!

This story was so fun to write. Learning about Eddy’s career and journey was a treat. He plans to retire in the next few years, so I am glad I was able to talk with him before he puts the microphone down for the last time.

My love for France

I have always loved France because of my connection to it. My grandmother was French. So, a small part of my family is French and I have been able to learn about the country and experience its culture before. My parents, siblings and I have traveled to France a few times to visit our family and I am so thankful that I have gotten that opportunity. 

But this Paris experience with CJC was unlike any other in my life. I traveled with the big group, but I was the only person from my family that was there.

After touring the Stade de France, the whole group went to Trocadéro to take pictures with the Eiffel Tower in the background.

This week in Paris taught me I am comfortable in the city, even without my father there to help me find my way. I flew to Paris a few days early with a few classmates, and I was able to lead us around and show them a few sights with no problems. It was a very happy realization for me.

I would definitely go on a similar program again.

Posted: March 13, 2023
Tagged as: , , , , , ,