NBA in Paris

Back to NBA in Paris

Basketball: The Global Unifier

By Tyler Carmona, Journalism Senior

The Eiffel Tower is Paris’ most popular tourist attraction.

Traveling to Paris provided me with an advanced journalistic perspective on all subjects, not just sports.

Although the program spanned only a week, it truly was a learning experience as we did our best to assimilate with the culture and accrue knowledge.

As an American sports fan, international fans’ interest in an NBA game between the Chicago Bulls and the Detroit Pistons intrigued me. I encountered fans from all over—not just France. I spoke with some from England, from Cameroon, or the Netherlands. And they all shared one thing: the love of the game.

International Players On The Rise

Seeing that the sport has developed such an international following was quite empowering. As a fair and respectful journalist, I hope I can do my part in helping the game reach heights it never has before.

The NBA Store in Paris was a hot-spot for basketball fans throughout the week.

With the emergence of international superstars like Giannis Antetokounmpo and Luka Doncic, fans from all over are beginning to feel represented when they tune into NBA games. In 1994, the NBA had just 25 foreign-born players. By 2019, that figure had more than quadrupled to 104.

The relevance of these international players was quite evident when I went to the NBA-sponsored events leading up to the game. Even France’s NBA store was littered with jerseys, shirts and all kinds of memorabilia of Doncic and Antetokounmpo.

What peaked my interest is the realization that the Los Angeles Lakers seemed to be the most famous team in France. They are often considered to be among the most popular teams in the United States, but I did not expect this to interest to span internationally. It makes sense, being that the Lakers have won a championship in seven of the past eight decades. Players like Magic Johnson and Kobe Bryant are highly revered in France, not just because of their NBA success but also their successes in international competition like the Olympics or the FIBA World Championships.

Despite the chilly weather, fans gathered in droves to witness the second NBA game in France.

Personal Experience

My experience was unique because I am a first-generation American. My parents come from a country that does not welcome international sports (or spectators): We are Cuban. Baseball and boxing have held their position as the Cuba’s most popular sports for over a hundred years. The inability to expand sports due to political reasons has limited the island’s population from experiencing events like Parisians did with January’s NBA game.

Although basketball isn’t a particular force in Latin America or the Caribbean, the game is certainly expanding. Another Carribbean island close to Cuba—Puerto Rico—has several players in the NBA.

Private high school basketball powerhouses in the United States scout boys around the world. Athletes from all over are beginning to acknowledge their potential in the game. By using the right resources they have earned themselves free educations, and even lucrative contracts.

Overall, this program made me feel proud to be a basketball fan, and proud to be a journalist. Sport knows no barriers, whether it be gender, ethnicity, or even financial implications. Ten oversized men chasing around a ball can bring together the whole world.

Posted: March 13, 2023
Tagged as: , , , , , , , , , , ,