Journalism and Communications is a limited admissions college; all transfer applicants will be considered on a space-available basis. A grade point average of 2.5 (on all work attempted) and 60 hours of acceptable credit are required for admission at the junior year. Students should have completed the university’s general education requirement.
The following four courses are required for transfer students to be admitted:
- AMH2010 – American History to 1877
- AMH2020 – American History since 1877
- POS2041 – American Federal Government
- POS2112 – State/Local Government OR CPO2001 – Comparative Politics OR INR2001 – International Relations
- Students applying to the Advertising major must also complete ECO2013 or ECO2023 – Macroeconomics or Microeconomics to be admitted.
- *Important Note for transfer students applying for admission to Advertising or Public Relations: we will accept PSY2012 – General Psychology, instead of POS2112, CPO2001, or INR2001.
Notes regarding MMC 2100 “Writing for Mass Communication”
Advertising majors: Advertising students are required to take MMC 2100. MMC2100 taken at the state/community college will be accepted.
Telecommunication majors: Telecommunication students must take the equivalent of MMC2100, RTV 2100, “Writing for Electronic Media”. MMC2100 taken at the state/community college will be accepted in lieu of RTV2100. Entry into the broadcast news sequence is limited to students in the Department of Telecommunication who have passed a test to evaluate writing ability. Contact the department office to determine when the writing tests are given. Both courses require students to have a typing proficiency of at least 20 words per minute or personal computer skills.
Journalism and Public Relations majors: All students admitted into the Journalism and Public Relations programs will be required to take JOU3109c at UF. MMC2100 taken at the state/community college will not be accepted in lieu of JOU3109c.
Undergraduate Admission Deadlines
Students applying to the university for the first time (freshmen and transfers) should refer to the UF Admissions website for information: http://www.admissions.ufl.edu/.
Application deadlines below are for undergraduate transfer applicants and undergraduates seeking readmission:
- Spring 2014 – October 1, 2013
- Summer A/C 2014 – February 1, 2014
- Summer B 2014 – March 1, 2014
- Fall 2014 – March 1, 2014
College tours are presented by the Journalism & Communications Ambassadors. If you would like to schedule a College tour, please visit the Tours page on the JCA website →