The Marion B. Brechner First Amendment Project is a non-profit, non-partisan organization dedicated to current and contemporary issues affecting the First Amendment freedoms of speech, press, thought, assembly and petition.
The Project addresses these issues in multiple ways, including by:
- Filing of legal briefs in court cases
- Authoring scholarly articles in the nation’s top law journals
- Publishing op-ed commentaries in mainstream newspapers
- Presenting speeches and papers at conferences and symposia across the country
- Providing commentary to news organization and media outlets
- Testifying before legislative bodies regarding bills affecting First Amendment rights
The First Amendment Project’s benefactor was Marion B. Brechner, who passed away in January 2011. Her son, Berl Brechner, maintains an active role with the College and the Project.