CJC in Frankfurt

Back to CJC in Frankfurt

Neue Fans und Freunde in Frankfurt, Deutschland

By Brooke Ginaitt, Journalism Senior

Brooke Ginaitt was one of 15 students who participated in the Globalizing American Sports study-abroad program from the University of Florida College of Journalism and Communications, held Nov. 1-6, 2023 in Frankfurt, Germany. To read other stories from the program, visit here.

Love for the Game

My study abroad trip to Frankfurt for the Chiefs vs. the Dolphins NFL game was a whirlwind of cultural immersion, as well my first time being out of the country. Everywhere in the city of Frankfurt, the Miami and Kansas City team colors decorated the streets, and fans proudly flaunted their allegiances much like fans in the U.S. Some fans even rocked jerseys, hats, scarves and shoes that represented more than one team, showcasing not just a love for a team but a global love for American football as a sport.

Game Day

As my class and I toured around Frankfurt and other towns in Germany, we interviewed locals as well as Americans and other international fans from diverse backgrounds in the days leading up to the game. It struck me: no matter where the fans were from, the buzz, passion and excitement of game day were universally infectious. The stadium was a melting pot of cultures, with chants and cheers and the echoes of familiar American songs. Amidst the sea of jerseys, flags and a shared enthusiasm for the sport, it felt like the crowd were all friends just sitting together in a bar watching the game and having a good time.

Featured is the Heidelberg Palace, a renaissance structure and important landmark in Germany. The back of the castle overlooks the city below where tourists can see the college of Heidelberg and both Catholic and Protestant cathedrals in the city.

Differences

Engaging with these fans showed me the unifying power of sports even outside of the U.S. Our conversations of the upcoming game, favorite players and even Taylor Swift surpassed language barriers and geographical distances, and emphasized the mutual love for the game among fans. It was incredible to witness how something as simple as football could bridge gaps between people of different nationalities and lifestyles.

A view from the fourth row in Deutsche Bank Park stadium. This is a look into the first NFL game in Germany this season.

Beauty of Sports

Reflecting on the experience, I realized another beauty to sports I never knew living in the United States. Its ability to create connections that go beyond words and countries. The NFL game in Frankfurt wasn’t just about touchdowns and tackles. It was a celebration of unity and shared passion, reminding me that despite our differences, the love for sports is a universal language that brings us all together.

Posted: December 14, 2023
Tagged as: , , , ,