NBA in Paris

Back to NBA in Paris

Paris Through My Camera Lens

Morgan Waters, left, and Chloe Lamb worked on a story mixing current news events with the basketball culture in France.

By Morgan Waters, Sport Management Junior

Time in Paris to photograph events surrounding an NBA game? A dream come true. This study abroad experience was amazing and I would do it over again a million times.

This was my first time ever leaving the country so I truly had no idea what to expect. However, I think the scariest part was traveling with a group of students I didn’t know at all.

As a sport management student, I didn’t know a single person selected for this program. Our first class in Gainesville was super intimidating. Everyone seemed to know at least one other person or had them in their classes this semester. Fortunately, these students were extremely welcoming and we quickly became a close-knit group.

Greatest Lesson

Officials teargassed the city in response to protests.

My biggest takeaway from this experience is to be more aware of my surroundings. After getting my phone, ID, and wallet stolen in addition to getting scammed for basketball tickets, I learned to be a little more aware and pay closer attention to things.

In America, we pay a lot less attention to our environment and those around us. In Paris, they are very aware and have a watchful eye. I also noticed they are very kept to themselves but not in a rude way, more of a focused-on-themselves mindset.

It sounds cliché but I realized there’s so much out there that I have yet to learn and experience. In an unfamiliar environment, I was humbled really quickly. There’s such a huge world out there that I haven’t even begun to explore. After this short taste of the world outside of the United States, I am extremely eager to travel more and experience other cultures.

Language, Culture and Food

The language and getting used to other customs was a large barrier to work through. I feel like as soon as I finally got the hang of it, it was time to leave already. It was really hard to travel without knowing French so I just had to look for similar words. Ordering food without being able to read the menu was difficult and I was a little embarrassed to ask for an English menu.

Croissants were delicious!

I also learned that they don’t drink much water during meals, just wine. And I’m not going to lie, I could get used to that! However, I did miss having butter with my bread rolls.

The only improvement I could suggest is the program being a little longer. The timing was a little awkward because the semester had already started, but it made sense with the NBA game. I just wish I had had a little bit more time to enjoy the city and settle in.

Ultimately, it was an unforgettable experience that I can’t wait to tell my kids about.

French TV interviewed my project partner (Chloe Lamb) and me.

Posted: March 13, 2023
Tagged as: , , , , ,