Five Questions With…

Back to Five Questions With…

Five Questions With…Domingo Santana

“Five Questions With…” is a series of profiles of recent CJC graduates and the career paths they chose.

Domingo Santana, B.S. Telecommunication 2013

1. Tell us about your current job.

Domingo Santana

I work for WarnerMedia/CNN as a Multi-platform Research Manager for CNN Español. We are part of the CNN Research Department in charge of tracking the performance for CNN Español across all platforms (TV, digital, social and audio/podcasts). That includes pulling data from multiple sources, analyzing it and producing reports for internal and external stakeholders, including advertising sales clients.

2. Why did you choose to come to the UF College of Journalism and Communications?

I chose CJC because of the opportunity to be around some of the best sports teams in the nation while getting the best education you can get in the state.

3. Was there a defining moment, personally or professionally, at CJC that set you on your current path?

I don’t think there was a specific event, but an accumulation of experiences with Noticias WUFT at the time under [Media Production, Management, and Technology Associate Professor] Amy Jo Coffey, who I consider one of the most influential persons during my time at CJC and am extremely thankful to.

Also, my class with [Media Production, Management, and Technology Professor] Sylvia Chan-Olmsted had a strong impact on me. Her Telecommunication Management class was probably the best class I took at UF.  I still remember a group project where we had to analyze all aspects of a radio station, identify strengths and issues and provide actionable solutions/ideas.

4. What advice do you have for students interested in pursuing a career in research or other fields?

This is a tough one, as there are many. But I would break my advice into three parts, two general and another research specific.

Take your time at CJC to really explore everything it has to offer, from radio to TV, to production when ESPN comes to town. These are precious times for you to get hands-on experience and think about whether you can envision yourself doing that for a living.

Internships should be your number one priority. It may be a cliché, but they open so many doors and provide you with priceless opportunities. I interned for CNN in 2011 and that played a big role during my hiring process.

Finally, don’t be intimidated by the technical aspect of research.  If you have great instincts and are able  to adapt to a fast-changing environment you’ll thrive in this field. I believe that the best company executives have a great understanding and really appreciate the value of data.

5. Where do you hope to be in your career in five years?

I hope to be in more of a decision-making role in a company with multi-platform offerings, where I’m able to use my research experience and expertise to generate/shape business strategies.

Posted: October 28, 2021
Tagged as: , ,