From Fantasy to Reality: Student from South Africa is Living Her American Dream at UF

By Reighan Sheppard, Journalism senior

Daniella Rudolph

They say Capricorns have a reputation for being ambitious and that their determination runs deep. They represent leadership and initiation. They never back down from a challenge.

Once they set their goal, nothing stands in their way, and anything is possible.

Born a Capricorn in the peak of January, Daniella Rudolph exuded ambition. Originally from Johannesburg, South Africa, she also had this innate understanding that, across the Atlantic, a successful future awaited her arrival.

“When I was nine, my mom, I think, got flagged for fraud because I was applying for a green card,” Rudolph said. “I always wanted to live in the United States.”

In her formative years, Rudolph attended a catholic school, but matured in the world of theatre and art. She spent her free time acting and participating in musical theatre.

“When I was 16, I switched to the Cambridge University online schooling system, and I enrolled in a full-time preforming arts school,” Rudolph said.

That is where she started to understand her voice. And, as she further embraced her inner artist and creativity, Rudolph realized she was meant to live a life in front of the camera.

It Was All a Dream

Rudolph’s mother was born and raised in South Africa, but she wanted to give her children the possibility to experience what she never could and move to the United States.

Rudolph growing up in South Africa.

As the move to America would not be complete until the following year, Rudolph began her college journey in South Africa.

Now, with a new goal in view, Rudolph knew she would have to funnel that creativity into a path that would be fulfilling and long-lasting, but also prepare her for success in American society.

“I knew that I wanted to go to school to do something really creative, but I had spent so much of my life doing theatre that I knew I didn’t have to pursue higher education in theatre,” Rudolph said.

Sometimes it takes going back to one’s roots for a clear path to blossom.

“My mom was like ‘well you really like to write and talk on camera, so why don’t you be a journalist,’” Rudolph said.

In her first year at The London International School of Fashion in South Africa, Rudolph enrolled in the fashion journalism major.

That is when Rudolph’s journalism journey began.

Across the Sea

In September 2020, Rudolph arrived with her immediate family in the United States, settling in Boca Raton, Florida. Now, in her second year of college, Rudolph began to envision what life in the U.S. would be like moving forward.

Rudolph and her brothers, from left, Matthew and Brandon at Summers Place in Johannesburg, South Africa.

“I started out at Nova Southeastern University, and I was very happy there,” Rudolph said. “But the more I became accustomed to American culture, I started realizing that they don’t have a football team, they don’t have Greek life.”

So, to experience the full package of quality education, college football, Greek life and American culture, Rudolph set her sights on the University of Florida and enrolled in the College of Journalism and Communications (UFCJC) as a Journalism major in August 2021.

“If I’m going to travel halfway across the world, I am going out live my American cultural dream,” Rudolph said.

As a member of the Delta Phi Epsilon sorority, she is living her sorority girl dreams and has loved going to football games and experiencing SEC gamedays.

But her time in Gainesville has not been all play. UF has opened numerous academic paths for Rudolph, as she strives for a career in meteorology.

“When I was young, I really disliked everything STEM-related,” Rudolph said. “In my senior year of high school, I unexpectedly ended up in a geography class. My teacher, Mrs. Royal, completely opened me up to the world of STEM. She taught it in such a way that made me fall so deeply in love with it! I knew it was something I wanted to pursue in my life but I wasn’t sure how. When I came to UF, I saw there was a broadcast meteorology program and everything clicked – I could incorporate my love for atmospheric science and geography with my other passion – being on camera.”

Rudolph in front of the green screen in the CJC Weather Center.

Rudolph said none of this, her life at UF, her life in America, would be possible if not for her best friend: her mom. “I love her so much,” Rudolph said. “She gave up her whole life so that me and my brothers could have a much better education and be able to pursue the dreams that we wouldn’t necessarily have in South Africa.

Journalism, the arts, and more creative professions are popular career trajectories in South Africa, although accounting and data science careers take the lead.

“We don’t have a lot of funding for things like the arts, fashion or journalism,” Rudolph said.

That is why moving to America has been so cherished and rewarding.

Marrying Her Passion for Broadcasting and Weather

UFCJC’s Innovation News Center is one of the reasons that Rudoph chose UF.

“It was the TV opportunities that made me transfer,” Rudolph said.

Rudolph at an internship with DC News Now in Washington, D.C. during the summer of 2023.

Now a senior pursuing a certificate in meteorology and climate alongside her Journalism degree, Rudolph is advancing in leaps and bounds, having a grand presence in campus-wide news and media productions.

“Daniella should be looked at as an inspiration,” WUFT Chief Meteorologist Jeff George said. “Daniella shows that you can come here, and you can reach your goals with hard work.”

Rudolph has been learning from George during her two years in the program. She could barely put into words how much she has appreciated and embraced her UF experience.

“I am so blessed, and I am very grateful,” Rudolph said. “I never would have had any of the opportunities that I have now, just living my dreams in college, things I thought I would never be able to do.”

Her next dream is to become the chief meteorologist of a major news organization. With George and other CJC staff and faculty, Rudolph is already working toward making it a reality.

She is also busy authoring a children’s book, “The Weather Witch,” to help other young girls get into STEM earlier.

Posted: November 16, 2023
Tagged as: ,