Alumni Profiles

Back to Alumni Profiles

Five Questions With Jake Best

“Five Questions With…” is a series of profiles of recent CJC graduates and the career paths they chose.

Jake Best, B.S. Journalism 2018

Jake Best

1. Tell us about your current job.

I serve as Communications Director for U.S. Senator Jon Ossoff (D-GA). I oversee and manage the day-to-day and long-term strategic communications operations of our office, including booking interviews for the Senator, working with the legislative team to plan and introduce legislation, working with local and national reporters to elevate and promote our work and the Senator’s strategic goals, managing the Senator’s social media presence, and more.

2. Why did you choose to come to the College of Journalism and Communications?

I came to UF to become a sports journalist, drawn to CJC by its immersive experiences, great faculty, passion for learning, and world-class sports programs. While my career path changed, the skills I gained at UF set me on the path to success in any field I could have chosen.

3. How did your time at CJC help prepare you for your current position?

I strongly believe anyone who works in a communications field should have experience working as a reporter, and anyone pursuing a career in journalism should have experience in a public relations role. Taking classes like reporting and working in the newsroom helped me gain vital insight and perspective into the job reporters do every day, and being able to place myself in the shoes of the journalists who cover Sen. Ossoff makes me a better communicator, and it results in better media coverage for our office.

4. What advice do you have for students interested in pursuing a career in politics?

First and foremost, get involved in any way you can — whether it’s a city council race or a big campaign for statewide office. The best professionals in politics have done a bit of it all: knocked doors, raised money, made phone calls, etc. It doesn’t matter how you start, but getting your foot in the door and working hard are keys to future success. Second, never say no to an opportunity, even if it isn’t the exact role you imagined at first. I knocked doors, made phone calls, and helped raise money before my first job in communications, and all of those roles made me better at my current job. And finally, be passionate about what you do. Politics can be grueling: long hours, tough jobs, and oftentimes falling short, but it’s important to remember that success doesn’t come easily, and it takes time: I lost the first three campaigns I worked on before winning the Georgia runoffs, but it made that victory that much sweeter.

5. Where do you hope to be in your career in five years?

Politics is always unpredictable, but I look forward to continuing to do what I love, getting better at my job, and continuing to try to make the world a better place.

For a full profile of Jake Best, visit: https://www.jou.ufl.edu/2021/03/16/journalism-alum-sees-critical-need-for-youth-involvement-in-politics/.

Posted: November 11, 2021
Tagged as: ,