Telecommunication alumnus winner of the National Geographic WILD TO INSPIRE filmmaking competition

This fall, Filipe DeAndrade will be traveling to Africa.

The 2012 telecommunication production graduate is the winner of the second annual WILD TO INSPIRE filmmaking competition. National Geographic WILD presents this award, in partnership with the Sun Valley Film Festival (SVFF) and the African Wildlife Foundation (AWF).

As the winner, DeAndrade’s wildlife adventure will be shared through a variety of media, including video diaries, photos, social media and more, as part of an online companion to Nat Geo WILD’s signature Sunday night nature series, “Destination Wild.”

Working with National Geographic and traveling to Africa have been two aspirations in his life.

“It was like my two biggest dreams wrapped up into a delicious slice of life pie,” he said.

While UF typically isn’t regarded as a film school, DeAndrade said the telecommunication production track gives you more than you need to go out and learn on your own.

“UF paved the way for more accomplishments because it was always my dream school, once I got into there and once I started my career path, it made me feel like I could do anything I want.”

Three piece of life advice from DeAndrade:

1. Know what it is that you want, so many times it is hard for people to answer that question. Know what you want and how you are taking the steps to get those things. It’s ok to not have the answers and figure out who you are, but what’s not ok is to not be trying.
  2. Don’t be afraid to take chances. So many times people are their own worst enemies. They talk themselves out of things and list a hundred reasons why not to do something. We are naturally careful, it’s ok to be unsure and afraid, but you have to use that energy and turn it into a positive. It is a way that can push you instead of holding you back.
  3. Live passionately; don’t be afraid to do exactly what you want to do in life. What you’re supposed to be doing will find you. The things that you care about and feel like you’re making a difference in the world will get noticed. You will find a way to make a living out of it.

Posted: April 14, 2015
Tagged as: ,