Michael and Linda Connelly Lecturer for Narrative Nonfiction - Department of Journalism
Basu is an author and award-winning journalist. Most recently she was a senior writer at CNN. She covered the Iraq War from its inception, for which she won several national awards. Her e-book, “Chaplain Turner’s War,” grew from a series of Atlanta Journal-Constitution stories on an Army chaplain serving in Iraq.
She has focused much of her work on people who survive immense loss and trauma and also on issues of race and identity.
She also was a distinguished professor of practice in the University of Georgia’s narrative nonfiction MFA program.
Basu began her journalism career in Florida. She worked briefly for the Tallahassee Democrat and before that, she was editor of The Florida Flambeau, the independent newspaper serving the FSU community. From 1988 – 1989, she served as communication director for the Children, Youth and Families program of the Florida Department of Health and Rehabilitative Services.
You can read a few of Basu’s stories on her website: www.monibasu.com
- Moni Basu and CJC Students Launch First UF Narrative Nonfiction Magazine (May 5, 2021)
- Moni Basu Receives 2021 CJC Faculty Professional Summer Award to Work for Report for America (April 28, 2021)
- Moni Basu to Receive 2021 RCC Wilbur Award for Capturing the Essence of Cassadaga (March 18, 2021)
- “Evil Reporter Chick” Moni Basu Infiltrates Students’ Hearts and Minds to Become UF Teacher of the Year (March 8, 2021)
- Moni Basu Explores Cassadaga, the “Psychic Capital of the World” (November 3, 2020)
- All News About Moni Basu
Syllabi from the current and three previous semesters:
- JOU 4308 - Magazine & Feature Writing - section 1336 - Fall 2020 (PDF)
- JOU 4311 - Advanced Magazine Writing - section 17C2 - Fall 2020 (PDF)
- JOU 4930 - Reporting From Ground Zero - Fall 2020 (PDF)
- JOU 4308 - Magazine & Feature Writing - section 1336 - Spring 2020 (PDF)
- JOU 4311 - Advanced Magazine Writing - section 17C2 - Spring 2020 (PDF)
- JOU 4930 - Special Topics in Journalism - section 3G13 - Spring 2020 (PDF)