Frank LoMonte, J.D.
Director - Brechner Center for Freedom of Information
Frank LoMonte was named director of the Brechner Center in August 2017.
Previously, he was the executive director of the Student Press Law Center (SPLC) in Washington, D.C. since 2008. During his tenure, he launched a number of major programming initiatives, including the “New Voices” initiative that has resulted in enactment of fortified legal protections for student journalists in 13 states, and the “Active Voice” fellowship program for college undergraduates to design “press freedom service projects” amplifying the voices of young women, who experience the brunt of school censorship.
Before joining the SPLC, LoMonte practiced law with Sutherland Asbill and Brennan LLP in Atlanta and clerked for federal judges on the Northern District of Georgia and the Eleventh Circuit U.S. Court of Appeals.
Prior to embarking on his legal career, he was an investigative journalist and political columnist. He was the capitol correspondent for the Florida Times Union (Jacksonville), Washington correspondent for Morris News Service and the Atlanta bureau chief for Morris.
He was the Otis Brumby Distinguished Visiting Professor of Law at the Georgia Law School in spring-summer 2014 and has been a lecturer since 2015 in the University of Georgia Washington Program, teaching a course for undergraduates on “Law of Social Media.”
Frank received his B.A. from Georgia State University in 1994 and his J.D., from the University of Georgia School of Law in 2000 magna cum laude. His work on behalf of open government and journalists’ rights has been recognized with numerous awards, including the American Library Association’s “Freedom to Read Foundation Roll of Honor” and the National Press Photographers’ Association First Amendment Award. The College Media Association offers an annual award in his name to honor special distinction in ethical journalism.
J.D., University of Georgia School of Law, 2000
B.A., Georgia State University, 1994
- Frank LoMonte Comments on Employee Restrictions on Speaking to the Media and Requirements for Campus Journalists to Divulge Sources (December 2, 2019)
- Frank LoMonte Comments on the Blocking of Social Media Posts by a County Government Official (November 20, 2019)
- Frank LoMonte and Jasmine McNealy Comment on Removing Archived Articles (November 8, 2019)
- Brechner Center to Co-Sponsor Gainesville Freedom of Information Workshop (November 1, 2019)
- Frank LoMonte Comments on the Overzealous Sealing of Court Records (October 29, 2019)
- All News About Frank LoMonte
Syllabi from the current and three previous semesters: