Career Services Database
View Job Listing
1100 Banyan Boulevard
West Palm Beach, FL 33401
Contact: Erin Sadler , Director, Human Resources Business Partner
WPTV is in search of a dynamic, determined, experienced and inquisitive news person to join our team. The ideal candidate would thrive under pressure of tight deadlines and be comfortable with juggling many tasks at once.
This is a full-time position that performs two main functions: assignment editor and photographer. While the schedule may change, it is anticipated that this individual will work as an assignment editor three days a week and as a photographer two days a week (most likely on the weekends).
- Listening to police and fire scanners for breaking news
- Contacting Public Information Officers to confirm information
- Dispatching reporters, photographers and helicopter out to scenes
- Responding to viewer calls, emails and facebook messages
- Searching (and pitching) news stories
- Arranging guests and setting up interviews
- Writing content for the web
- Researching information for newscasts
- Staying on top of city and county meetings for highlights relevant to our viewers
- Scouring social media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat) for clickable content for our Real Time newsroom.
- Receives assignment or evaluates news leads and news tips to develop story ideas.
- Scours local media outlets to help generate content identifying news of the day.
- Gathers and verifies facts regarding stories through interview, observation, and research.
- Organizes material, determines slant or emphasis, and writes story according to prescribed editorial style and format standards.
- Edits, or assists in editing, videos for all multimedia platforms.
- Assist news producer in preparing newscast.
- Assist online staff in preparing for multimedia stories.
- Capture and edit visual content (video and still photos) for multiple platforms.
- Operate and maintain live equipment including microwave, satellite and related news gathering equipment.
- Work in tandem with newsroom personnel to create and develop news stories.
- Tools we use: Final Cut Pro X on MACBook Pro for editing. We shoot with JVC cameras, GoPros & OSMOs.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Education & Experience/Certifications
- Bachelor's degree in broadcast journalism or related degree, and/or equivalent experience.
- Minimum 1 year experience as an assignment editor and/or photographer (3+ years preferred)
Skills & Abilities
- Computer literacy required, including newsroom computer systems.
- Knowledge and experience on social media.
- Videography and non-linear editing experience preferred.
- Editing video on Final Cut Pro editing systems, or similar equipment would be helpful.
- Strong broadcast and AP style writing skills.
- Proficient at posting content to various websites.
- Proficiency with lighting and computer based editing.
- Proficiency with live microwave truck operation.
- Knowledge and demonstration of creativity, editorial judgment, journalistic ethics and libel laws.
- Knowledge of and proficiency in posting content to station's web sites.
- Self-motivated and able to work in a fast-paced deadline-driven environment.
- Valid Driver's License, good driving record and provide certificate of insurability with company required insurance limits.
- Must be able to lift up to 75 pounds.
- Available to work a variety of shifts – days, nights, weekends, holidays
- In the event of a local hurricane, stay at the station with the rest of the staff to help support the news organization.