NBA in Paris

Back to NBA in Paris

From the Sunshine State to the City of Love

I used to dream of sitting in front of the Eiffel Tower… Here I am pictured in front of it.

By Dylan Meyer, MPMT Junior

The cold breeze hit my face but looking around seeing a totally different city hit me entirely. From the moment I stepped foot onto the grounds of Paris, I immediately felt the city of love.

I had the awesome opportunity to study abroad in Paris for a unique five-day program. Although it was short, this experience was one of the most transformative of my life.

As a huge NBA fan, the highlight of the program was covering the second-ever NBA game in Paris between the Chicago Bulls and Detroit Pistons. Hearing the roar from the crowd through every basket is a memory forever engraved into my mind.

While the program was brief, it taught me a lot about myself, the world, and the importance of cross-cultural communication. One of the most significant things I took away from the experience was the value of stepping outside of my comfort zone. Trying to understand a different language and navigate a new city was challenging. I am thankful for it, though. It forced me to grow and adapt in ways I never thought possible.

Of course, there were also some obstacles that interfered with my learning throughout the program. The language barrier was the most significant challenge. My French is far from fluent, so communicating with locals could be frustrating at times.

We met up with the @MiamiHeatFR Twitter account owners to discuss why they created their page and what got them into basketball.

Looking back, I feel like I could have pushed myself to network more or connect with other professionals in the sports journalism industry.

Yet, reporting on the NBA game in Paris remains an incredible experience. It was awesome to see how different cultural norms learn about the French culture which played a role in shaping how French fans and media approached the game of basketball.

This study abroad experience has broadened my global perspective in countless ways. Not only did I gain a huge appreciation for the beauty of French culture, but I also learned how to communicate and connect with people from all walks of life. I now have a greater understanding of how sports can connect people from all around the world.

Overall, my experience abroad goes hand in hand with the goals of the program. My global perspective has evolved. I improved my cross-cultural communication  skills. And I worked on my development as a future media professional within the sports industry.

We took the metro to navigate the city, including for an excursion to the Montparnasse Tower.

I came away from this program with more self-awareness, a deeper understanding of the world, and a greater appreciation for the power of sports to bring people together and inspire a change of scenery.

So, this program was a life-changing experience. It taught me so much! I also got the chance to become close with 23 other students, which I never thought was possible in such little time.

The opportunity to report on the NBA game in Paris was a dream come true. But beyond the excitement of the game itself, the experience taught me how French culture comes together for a big sporting event like this one and how loud the crowd could be.

Posted: March 13, 2023
Tagged as: , , , , ,