College News

Back to College News

CJC Alumna Honored as CableFax Magazine’s Industry Mentor of the Year

Tonya Cornileus, B.S. Telecommunication 1985, has been named one of CableFax magazine’s Most Powerful Women of 2021. Cornileus, who is currently vice president of Human Resources at ESPN in Hartford, Connecticut, was also honored with the special award of Mentor of the Year.

The magazine’s annual list highlights the industry’s leading women executives and their contributions to their companies and the industry.

Tonya Cornileus

Cornelius was selected for her oversight of new initiatives at ESPN and serving as an adviser to senior management on diversity, equality and inclusion. She established the “MORE Program,” a one-year initiative that aims to increase mentorship, opportunities and exposure for a diverse cohort of next-generation leaders, and the “NEXT Program” that exposes production assistants to different areas of content. In her role, she also helps link senior Black ESPN leaders to emerging/mid-level Black leaders for mentorship and training.

According to Cornelius, “Sharing my expertise and wisdom to help someone else achieve their goals and dreams is fulfilling. Invariably, I gain just as much from the mentorship as my mentees. I’m a better person, a better lecturer and a more compassionate and inclusive leader because I mentor others.”

Posted: December 14, 2021
Tagged as: , ,