I thought I’ve done this post before, but couldn’t find it. Dave just got a MacBook Air so I thought I’d post a list of my essential things I download and install on any new Mac.
- TextWrangler – My free text editor of choice.
- Caffeine – one-click sleep preventer.
- SlimBatteryMonitor – Smaller and better than the built-in menu battery gauge.
- MenuMeters – ever-present performance gauges.
- MenuCalendarClock – I don’t even use all the free features.
- Fetch – ftp client, commercial but with a free education license. Though I frequently find myself using the ftp that’s built into TextWrangler.
- Flip4Mac – Windows Media components for QuickTime.
- Microsoft Remote Desktop Client because we have Windows machines under our desks at work.
- The Unarchiver – better than the built-in archive opener or unStuffIt.
Firefox is, of course, first and all of the above are downloaded with it, but that almost goes without saying. I’ve blogged before about essential extensions, but I see that needs a little revision. I use Firefox rather than Safari as my primary browser because I sync my bookmarks between too platforms and I get the same user experience on both platforms.