Welcome to the research lab in the College of Journalism and Communications. This lab is located in Weimer 2052 and designed to support the research needs of the faculty and graduate students in the College. Equipped with a projection screen, digital recording devices, IP phones, and 22 research stations, including both desktop and laptop computers, the research lab provides the tools for conducting both quantitative and qualitative research.
Project registration and lab reservations
To gain access to the lab, you must first register your research project online. When registration is complete, you will receive instructions on logging in to the online reservation system.
Online Registration/Reservation, Other Lab Usage/Maintenance Related Issuesand Gator 1 Card Access Processing
Phone: (352) 273-1648
For IT Related Issues: email ITS@jou.ufl.edu
Hours of operation
The research lab hours are consistent with the operating hours of other computer labs in the college. Please note that the research lab is closed on Saturdays.
|Monday||8 am – 1 am (Tuesday)*|
|Tuesday||8 am – 1 am (Wednesday)*|
|Wednesday||8 am – 1 am (Thursday)*|
|Thursday||8 am – 1 am (Friday)*|
|Friday||8 am – 10 pm|
|Sunday||1 pm – 1 am (Monday)*|
*Graduate students have priority over all others between 10 p.m. and 1 a.m. Monday through Thursday and 7 p.m. to 1 a.m. Sunday.
Research software workshops
Watch streaming video replays:
- Biopac Systems training
- Spector Pro and Website Ripper Copier
The following software is available on the lab computers:
- Amos (Available on RSC-01 to RSC-04)
- Diction 5.0
- LISREL (Available on RSC-01)
- MediaLab (Desktop RSC-04 is the Supervisor Station)
- SAS (Available on RSC-01 to RSC-04)
- Spector Pro (contact research division for recording/access ID and password)
Qualtrics Research Suite
The College has purchased the web-based Quatrics Research Suite, a comprehensive web-based survey system that can be used to design and conduct surveys/polls online and off-line. With its extensive features, it can also be used for experimental designs and other research data collection methods.
Sign up for an Account
Both faculty and students can sign up to use the system by going to this website: https://ufljour.qualtrics.com (Please bookmark it for future use).
If it is the first time you are signing up for an account, click on “Please click here to create an account” and fill out the information requested. You will need a coupon code to sign up. Please contact the research division (firstname.lastname@example.org) for the code.
Support and Help
Qualtrics provides phone and email support as well as 5-7 web training sessions per year. Qualtrics also offers a very extensive online tutorial system called “Qualtrics University.” You will find the link to it after you log in to your own account at the upper right hand corner of the screen.
- LISREL manual is available in hard copy in the lab. User guide is available at www.ssicentral.com/lisrel/resources.html#u.
- SpectorPro: Go to www.spectorsoft.com/support/help.asp?theproduct=4 and use Serial Number 6433AC0050070453 to access the online manual for the program.
- Wincati manual is available in hard copy in the lab. An online video demo is available at www.sawtooth.com/products/