Jennifer & Robert
Jennifer Nevins Robbins, TEL 1999, will always remember walking into her first day of Associate Professor James Babanikos’ writing class in 1998. It was the first time she met Robert Robbins, TEL 1999, who received his law degree from UF in 2002.
Noticing a handsome face in the crowd, she took the empty chair across from him.
During that semester, they often talked before and after class, but never ventured beyond polite conversation. On the last day of class, however, Jennifer hoped to change that. To her disappointment, though, Robert had disappeared after the final exam, claiming to have waited for Jennifer for what “seemed like an eternity,” and in the end, leaving before she finished.
Where they met: Class in Weimer Hall
Years they dated before getting married: Five
Where they married: Palm Beach Gardens
How long they’ve been married: Eight years
Children: Jacob, 3 and daughter Grace, 3 months
Maiden Name: Nevins
Torn between remaining home during summer break or returning to school for the Summer B session, Jennifer decided to return to Gainesville. As luck would have it, Robert also decided to take the same telecommunication course, and with a nudge from a friend, Jennifer sat beside him on the first day of class.
Soon, they planned their first date. They made a bet: If Robert scored 95 percent or below on a test, Jennifer won, and if he scored a 96 percent or higher, he won. The loser cooked dinner.
“He scored a 96 percent,” Jennifer said. “That weekend, I made Bobby what ended up being horrible lemon-pepper chicken, which took us to Steak ‘n Shake. From then on, we were inseparable.”
Their senior year, the couple enrolled in their remaining telecommunication classes together, attended every home football game and traveled to Tallahassee for the Gators-Seminoles showdown.
Following graduation, they survived three years of long distance dating while Robert stayed at UF to attend law school. In 2001, Robert proposed to Jennifer on the beach at Amelia Island. Two years later, they married in Palm Beach Gardens, and now live in Wellington with their 3-year-old son, Jacob, and 3-month-old daughter, Grace.
- The Fab Four: Gator grads launch new all-sports format on WRUF-AM
- Gator grads head The Miami Herald newsroom
- John Spence: one of nation’s top 100 thought leaders
- Mike Neumeier: The Power of PR
- Melissa Lyttle named to association board
- Three College graduates honored at the Florida Heritage Awards
- 21st Century News Laboratory opens
- College plans digital communication laboratory
- Finding love at the CJC
Coming & going
- Christiano named to Karel Endowed Chair
- Wanta is new Journalism chair
- College welcomes three new faculty members
- New staff
- Harry Guscott retires after 39 years
- Advertising students receive national recognition
- Public Relations team wins international competition
- College restructures media properties
- College and UAA enter into partnership
- College broadcasts local high school game
- Jerry Davis
- Marion B. Brechner
- Mickie Newbill Edwardson